We’re super excited to announce the launch of a new corner – “Wellness by SweetNara”❤️ – where we’ll explore health and diet trends affecting millions of Asian and Asian American women. Lucky for us, we have a few resident doctors and surgeons who graciously volunteered to be our in-house experts.
But a few disclaimer lines (we’re required to do this for your protection!) before we begin:
- Although some of our posts will be written by doctors, they are NOT meant to substitute for professional medical advice. Please continue to visit your primary care physician on a regular basis. These posts are not intended as substitutes for great preventative care.
- If you are ill (or think you are), please schedule an appointment with your doctor and/or go to urgent care. CALL 9-1-1 in case of emergencies.
- We’re not here to sell miracle products – for example, we won’t be saying “buy these blueberry pills now b/c they will help cure cancer”. (We’re not gonna play the Doctor on TV scheme) We’re just here to recommend a balanced diet and exercise plan that will help you achieve your health goals. We’re here to start the conversation to help all of us achieve a healthier and stronger version of ourselves.
- NO RUDE REMARKS. We will NOT tolerate a$$holes in our comments section. Seriously! If you find yourself wanting to troll us and/or other SweetNara users, take your urges elsewhere.
Great! Now that we have those points out of the way, let’s dive into our first post below. 🙌🏼
If you’re anything like me, you’re not going to enjoy jogging in a harsh winter environment. Not a big fan of shoveling snow with my feet, ya know? Luckily, for us, there’s a thing called Youtube that can act as a great motivator + personal coach + treadmill on a cold “I feel inspired to exercise a bit today” type of afternoon.
And the best part? It’s absolutely FREE. Just imagine – you get to exercise and look/feel great in the comforts of your own home, on your own time, without any equipment or weights! What could be better than that? All it takes is your Wi-Fi, some space, a cell phone/TV, a floor, and a yoga mat (if you have hard-wood floors).
To get you started today, here are my 3 recommendations on some of the most awesome (and FREE) exercise videos you can use today to help you get back into shape.
1. Anything Victoria’s Secret by Rebecca Louise – I absolutely adore her Victoria’s Secret series as much as I admire her humor and positive energy. She’s my all-time favorite workout personality, so if you haven’t heard of her yet, feel free to check her out. And nope! None of these posts are sponsored/paid – so you can rest assured that this is coming from my own experience. ☺️
2. Cassey’s Blogilates series! How could I leave Cassey out of this list? She’s an amazing instructor and a true badass girl-boss and entrepreneur. Her videos are super easy to follow and they all feel very premium. (like you paid a subscription fee to learn her moves!) I’d recommend her ab workouts because they did a great job melting away my holiday muffin-tops.
3. POPSUGAR Fitness series for cardio and dance! If you’re looking to get some good cardio built into your routine, POPSUGAR Fitness has a few great dance & cardio moves that you can jam to. Start with a 15-minute workout and slowly work yourself up to their more intense, 30-45 minute cardio videos.
Remember, consistency is key. If you’re looking for results, you have to build these routines into your time at home – at least once a day, 3x per week. Because these videos are short, you may want to start with some light stretching, follow with a cardio video, then focus on 1-2 body parts (legs/abs/arms) each time.
For example, my at-home exercise routine consists of:
- 10-minute stretching 🙋🏻
- POPSUGAR Cardio 💃🏽
- Rebecca’s Angel Booty 🍑 Video
- Cassey’s abs or arms workout 💪🏽
Every person is different, so start at the pace you feel most comfortable with. When I first started these routines about 6 years ago, I started with a simple 15-minute video each day and all it took was this one 15-minute focus on my body to help me feel beautiful and strong inside. I gradually built my routine up to an hour-long session, but it didn’t happen overnight. Sometimes, it was hard to even get through a 10-minute routine! Just remember that like learning a new skill, your body will strengthen over time. Don’t give up!
What is your best at-home exercise routine? Drop us a comment below.
Be your own kind of beautiful,